The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado, Boulder invites applications to fill an Associate Scientist position.
May 18, 2021 12:00 am
June 18, 2021 12:00 am
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
CIRES/ NOAA SWPC Linux System Administrator
Requisition Number: 30353
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Research Faculty
Date Posted: 12-May-2021
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado, Boulder invites applications to fill an Associate Scientist position located at the National Weather Service (NWS), Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) – part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). SWPC is the nation’s official source of space weather alerts and warnings. SWPC forecasts and products support a wide range of customers, including power grid operators, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), aviation, satellite operators, and emergency managers.
The data center and enterprise architecture at SWPC include Linux (RHEL), VMWARE, and associated computer and software systems. The reliable operation of these systems is paramount to the Center’s critical role in protecting our nation from space weather impacts. As a system administrator, you will help maintain these systems, support system projects, and planning, aid architectural improvement and help this Center evolve with the needs of our customers.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Provide end-user support.
- Assist Linux SA with various clean up duties.
- Provide VMware support.
- Perform new builds via PXE boot and Kickstart.
- Backup the groundstation response team with telemetry acquisition, troubleshooting, and repairs.
- The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, networking, or other IT field.
- The candidate will also have 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to legally work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- Candidates must successfully complete the required federal clearance process.
For more details