The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) is seeking a Data Support Specialist.
May 26, 2021 12:00 am
July 26, 2021 12:00 am
The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC)
CIRES/ NSIDC Data Support Specialist
Requisition Number: 30655
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Research Faculty
Date Posted: 24-May-2021
The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) User Services Office (USO) is an information service for NSIDC’s scientific user communities. The Data Support Specialist is a member of the User Services Office who engages the user community to understand their science needs and provide support for NSIDC data and information services. A successful Data Support Specialist will develop detailed knowledge of the data products they are assigned to support, including understanding the scientific uses of the data and the tools used by the user community to work with the data. This knowledge is used by the Data Support Specialist to represent the user perspective in data product archival and publication, providing detailed information on all aspects of NSIDC’s user community needs. Additionally, the Data Support Specialist will work directly with users to solve problems with using NSIDC data, or to provide resources to improve understanding of the data. To accomplish these tasks, Data Support Specialists work closely with scientists and data management staff. Data Support Specialists may also occasionally represent NSIDC at engagement events to directly support users and promote NSIDC’s data and services. The position reports to the Deputy Communications Manager.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Tracks and reports information on user community requirements acquired by supporting end users through request management and user engagement activities.
- Participates in NSIDC Product Teams to publish and support NSIDC data products.
- Communicates user community requirements and User Services operational needs to assigned NSIDC Product Teams.
- Researches data format, content, and visualization methods for assigned NSIDC data products.
- Reviews data and metadata for accuracy, completeness, and usability in supported tools.
- Initiates data product changes through their teams based on user requirements.
- Develops user support material, including tutorials and help documentation for assigned NSIDC data products.
- Participates in NSIDC development projects to communicate User Services operational needs and provide data expertise for testing developed tools and services.
- Triages all incoming user requests through email, request forms, or phone.
- Communicates with users to determine and understand their data needs, data or software problems, or support requirements.
- Researches sources and/or seeks appropriate specialists and/or scientists to obtain information needed to respond to users.
- Raises requests requiring detailed data product knowledge to the appropriate team member and/or scientist when needed.
- Develops reports to keep User Services staff and NSIDC staff aware of trends in user needs based on requests.
- Maintains the User Services help desk and mass mailing software.
- Contributes to the development and content of outreach materials such as brochures, newsletters, Internet postings, webinars, workshops, and tutorials.
- May occasionally attend conferences or user engagement events to represent NSIDC data products and services, and to interact directly with the user community.
- Reviews and manages all email notices to users regarding data product updates.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science field, preferably in an earth science field.
- Minimum two years of relevant experience.
For more details