Former world No. 3 Juan Martin del Potro has officially withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics, his team announced on Tuesday. ten Del Potro enjoyed success at the past two Olympics, having claimed the bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics and the silver medal at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
Del Potro hasn’t played in exactly two years and since then he has had multiple surgeries. Unfortunately for del Potro, his career has been marked by injuries but he is still hoping to return to tennis.
Del Potro joins Rafael Nadal and Denis Shapovalov
Nadal and Shapovalov also pulled out of the Tokyo Olympics.
“I have decided not to participate at this year’s Championships at Wimbledon and the Olympic Games in Tokyo,” Nadal, twice a Wimbledon champion, said on Twitter. “It’s never an easy decision to take but after listening to my body and discussing it with my team I understand that it is the right decision.”
“The fact that there has only been two weeks between RG (Roland Garros) and Wimbledon, didn’t make it easier on my body to recuperate after the always demanding clay court season. “They have been two months of great effort and the decision I take is focused looking at the mid and long-term.
“The Olympic Games always meant a lot and they were always a priority as a sports person, I found the spirit that every sports person in the world wants to live. “I personally had the chance to live three of them and had the honour to be the flag bearer for my country”.
Meanwhile, Shapovalov said: “Hey everyone, after careful consideration I wanted to let you know that I will not be participating in the Olympics this year. Representing Canada means the world to me, but due to the current situation my team and I have decided this is the best decision for everyone’s safety. I can’t wait to represent Canada at future Olympic Games.”