The candidate will work as part of the Speedwell Weather Data and Speedwell Settlement Services teams. The position is based in Charleston, SC
Oct. 13, 2021 4:30 pm
Nov. 13, 2021 5:00 pm
Meteorologist and Data Analyst
The job is based in Charleston, SC.
The Speedwell Group is at the forefront of the rapidly expanding environmental risk management industry. Over the past 20 years we have developed a reputation as industry experts providing data, software, and associated services. Recent real-world developments including the increased reliance on renewable power generation and a changing political landscape have increased corporate demand for environmental risk management. Managing these risks will require a combined effort from industry, governments, and NGOs. We are well positioned to support this effort by providing a link between the meteorology / climate and the financial sectors.
We are looking for an individual who is self-motivated, forward thinking, and excited to be part of an emerging industry. Our team is small, but passionate, knowledgeable, and eager to make a difference. The ideal candidate will bring new skills and knowledge to the team while looking to build upon what has been accomplished.
This position represents a tremendous opportunity for someone looking to work with industry experts on cutting edge projects. The candidate will work as part of the Speedwell Weather Data and Speedwell Settlement Services teams. As part of a small team daily efforts will involve a wide range of activities… operational data processing, responding to client requests, project specific data analysis, product deliveries, and research and development.
Speedwell is an equal opportunity employer. We have been voted best weather risk advisory and data provider in the industry by Environmental Finance Magazine for the past 16 years. The candidate will find a friendly but demanding atmosphere where they will be able to grow in their role.
The candidate will assist with team activities. Specific responsibilities will depend upon the individual’s skillset, corporate needs, and the candidate’s passion.
Responsibilities will include the following:
• Operational data quality control
• Data certification for financial contract settlement
• Client support
• Product / data preparation and delivery
• Research and development
• Master’s degree in meteorology (or related science) and/or industry experience
• Experience working with meteorological / environmental observations
• Strong background in statistics
• The individual is expected to have good communication (written and oral) skills.
• Ability to work in a small team using your own initiative
• Experience with ArcGIS for data visualization
• Experience using programming/scripting languages or software to handle common file types used in meteorological data sets (grib, NetCDF, csv, etc.)
• Foreign language skills (specifically Spanish)
• Experience working with and installing meteorological instrumentation
• Ability to focus on detail
• Experience with the insurance / finance industry or weather risk management
• Working knowledge of one or more of the following programming/scripting languages: Python, FORTRAN, MATLAB.
For additional information concerning this position or to apply, please contact Pip Palmer ([email protected]).
About Speedwell Weather
Founded in 1999, Speedwell Weather provides quality climate data, forecasts, software,
and consultancy. From offices in the UK and the USA we serve clients world-wide in sectors
including environmental-risk management, energy, insurance, and agriculture. Our data products include SuperPack® which provides unlimited access to our thousands of high-quality world-wide
data sets. Speedwell Weather provides the Speedwell Weather System, an enterprise software
system for pricing and managing a portfolio of environmental risk contracts.
About Speedwell Settlement Services
Speedwell Settlement Services is the leading provider of meteorological Settlement Data for index-based climate contracts worldwide. With a focus on transparency, accuracy, and reliability
Speedwell has provided Settlement Data for both over-the-counter transactions as well as
exchange listed contracts. In addition to data services Speedwell Settlement engages in weather
station installation / management designed to support climate risk transfer.
Speedwell Settlement Services Ltd has been granted a Part 4A permission under Part 4A of the UK Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 to carry on the regulated activity of administering a benchmark.