In today’s episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with Professor Marcus du Sautoy. Prof du Sautoy is widely known for his work to popularise mathematics, is the Charles Simonyi Professor for the Public Understanding of Science and author of the bestselling book The Creativity Code: Art and Innovation in the Age of AI.
We speak about the link between Artificial Intelligence and Creativity, and how these two worlds are coming closer and closer together.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:30 – Prof du Sautoy’s history with Mathematics and Science
- 00:03:30 – Can Artificial Intelligence be creative? The example from the game of Go
- 00:07:30 – The new way of coding, based on machine learning, which no longer requires the rules which humans program into software
- 00:11:00 – The realms of the arts are now being taught to software, which allows code to generate output which humans never would have
- 00:15:00 – How algorithms are creating new types of music, and how audiences are unable to tell music created by a human or a computer
- 00:17:00 – The unbelievable creativity of GPT-3, and whether creativity requires intention
- 00:23:00 – Is AI creative if a human is always the one choosing which outputs to display
- 00:27:00 – The challenge of communicating science, and building public trust in science
- 00:31:00 – The power of a story in communicating (and miscommunicating) science
Links mentioned in this episode:
Creativity & Innovation expert: I help individuals and companies build their creativity and innovation capabilities, so you can develop the next breakthrough idea which customers love. Chief Editor of Ideatovalue.com and Founder / CEO of Improvides Innovation Consulting. Coach / Speaker / Author / TEDx Speaker / Voted as one of the most influential innovation bloggers.