SESCO Enterprises is seeking a Senior Meteorologist.
June 22, 2021 12:00 am
July 18, 2021 12:00 am
SESCO Enterprises LLC
SESCO Enterprises is a leading Energy Trading and Risk Management company that started in 2003. SESCO Enterprises is involved in the buying/selling of electricity products in the U.S. wholesale electricity markets. We are a collective group of innovative, intelligent, and driven people that thrive as a team. We place heavy emphasis on teamwork, inclusion, and rewards for those that put the team and organization first.
The Meteorology team at SESCO provides primarily 24–48-hour forecasts for the major energy markets in the United States. Mid and long-range forecasts are also a part our responsibilities, but the focus is primarily on the next 1-2 days. The meteorologists predict weather conditions for cities, solar, and wind energy and put this information into a report that is delivered to the traders each morning.
Shifts start at 5am and run most days until 1pm but can occasionally last longer into the afternoon.
- No night shifts.
- Flexible vacation policy.
- Likely, but not guaranteed, 100% remote
- Best 401k match of any company in the US.
- Develop 24-to-48-hour forecasts for cities in ERCOT and CAISO, focusing on temperatures, cloud cover, and precipitation.
- Create wind and solar power forecast curves for the overall production in each ISO.
- Present your forecast to the traders, each morning, in a concise, simple format focusing on the risk and opportunities.
- Monitor available weather data to create mid and long-range predictions for areas west of the Mississippi River.
- Develop case studies and pattern analogs to help improve forecasting accuracy and to teach younger staff the nuances of predicting weather in Texas, California.
- Help develop new tools and applications that improve the forecasting preparation and production efficiency.
- Based on your own experience and knowledge, the ability to extend beyond the models and communicate risk and opportunities to the traders. Basically, beat the models.
- Minimum of 4 years energy meteorology forecasting or if you do not have an energy background then 7 years of overall forecasting after college.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in how you communicate both written and verbally. We will test this during the interview process.
- Ability to assess the atmosphere and make quick forecasts, upon request, for any location with the ERCOT and CAISO regions.
- Ability to collaborate with the meteorology team and other departments, but also work on your own in developing forecasts and projects.
- Confidence in your forecasting skills and the ability to stick with your forecast, even when you are all alone on a prediction.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of the boundary layer, including temperature inversions, precipitation type, terrain induced low level winds, low level jet, and thunderstorm development and evolution.
- Working experience forecasting onshore/offshore flows in California and the East Coast.
- Knowledge of tropical weather formation and movement in the Gulf of Mexico, East Coast, and western Pacific typhoons.
- Experience predicting anomalous temperature changes in different ISO regions in the short and long range.
Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and early mornings, this includes the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays.
Application Deadline: July 18th
Currently the company is operating 100% remote. This position is likely to remain remote, but at this time I can’t guarantee that it will remain that way once you are hired. Keep this in mind when applying.
- Initial interviews will be a video interview conducted over Microsoft Teams, July 20th-22nd
- This interview will include a forecast test.
- Second round of interviews will be a video interview on Microsoft Teams, July 29-August 5th.
- This interview will include a forecast test involving the traders.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letters to Ben Davenport at [email protected].