Univision Local Media is looking for a Certified Meteorologist to develop and produce weather content for linear and non-linear platforms, including radio, television, web and social media. Ideal candidate must love weather and meteorology. He or she should be an excellent communicator, possess a commanding and professional on-camera presence with top-notch judgement. Looking for someone creative, innovative who is highly engaged in digital platforms (Facebook, twitter, website etc.) someone who can clearly explain the weather story, utilizing graphics and video. Candidate must be able to produce weather content that stands out and drives user engagement across multiple regions and platforms. We are Looking for someone who understands, and is fully engaged, with active weather information, quickly responding to weather alerts, available for on-call situations, and maintaining in constant contact with multiple teams during severe weather.
This position will require the employee to be part or join the SAG-AFTRA bargaining unit.
- Must be a weather expert who works well in a team environment with other meteorologists, producers and technical staff.
- Must be well-versed in the latest weather technology, including WSI Max, CSV files and experience in excel
- Must be detail-oriented and exceptionally well organized, have good people skills, a positive, can-do attitude, take initiative, be a problem-solver and be able to work in a team
- Flexible to work any assigned shift, including evening, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able to adlib for extended periods of time
- Able to represent Univision 41 at various speaking engagements
- Coordinate with news department when weather conditions produce news coverage scenarios.
Required Skills & Experience
- A college degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science or equivalent technical training in a meteorology-related institutional setting will be required. A CBM/NWA seal is desired.
- 1-3 years as on-air weathercaster
- Knowledge of synoptic meteorology, tropical and radar forecasting tools.
- Technologically savvy with strong computer skills
- Experience with WSI weather system and graphics
- Experience with severe weather coverage preferred
- Excellent and grammatically accurate Spanish language skills – both written and oral – required.
- Bilingual – fluency in English and Spanish is required
- Strong understanding of news gathering ethical and legal issues
- Genuine enthusiasm for work & a drive for excellence
- Must be willing to work from office in Teaneck, NJ
- Employment/education will be verified
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
Univision is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.